We Are Open! Miller & Miller Law is keeping our clients and staff safe from COVID-19. We are open for free phone and video consults during these difficult times.

Our 3 Step Process

Step 1:
Get Out Of Debt

Step 2:
Clean Up Your Credit

Step 3:
Build Your Score

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Bankruptcy Means Test
  4.  » Can I pay my taxes with a Credit Card, then file bankruptcy to discharge the Debt?

Can I pay my taxes with a Credit Card, then file bankruptcy to discharge the Debt?

| Apr 11, 2012 | Bankruptcy Means Test, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7, Debt Settlement, Small Business Bankruptcy |

With April 15th only a few days away, many people are working hard to come up with the money to pay the Government. For those who are self employed, estimated tax liability payments are due every quarter starting April 15th. The IRS will allow you to pay your tax debt with a credit card, but you can expect to pay a 2% “convenience fee”.

If charging tax liability please be aware that the Bankruptcy Code specifically disallows that part of your credit card debt to be discharged in a bankruptcy case, unless the tax you are paying is dischargeable as well.

If you have questions about tax liability and credit card debt please call Attorney Miller at 414-326-9231. Our office is accessible in Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, West Bend, Ozaukee, Brookfield and all surrounding Milwaukee Metro Areas.


Watch Attorney James Miller on the Morning Blend as he discusses his new book, The Secrets About Bankruptcy They Don't Want You To Know.

Click here to order your free copy today!
Click here to schedule an appointment at any of our convenient locations.

Morning Blend will re-run on Labor Day.

FindLaw Network