Phone Call Us 414-326-9231
Toll Free 866-678-9352
Text Us 414-277-7742

Was your tax refund intercepted to pay your student loans? (2 of 2)

If your tax refund was intercepted this year to pay for your student loans that are in default, you are not alone. The good news is there are steps you can take to potentially get your refund back or prevent the same thing from happening next year, including:

Request a hearing. If you believe that your refund was taken in error, you can ask for a hearing to review whether the refund was taken in error. Usually it is not enough that you didn't receive notice about being in default, you must be able to show that you aren't actually in default.

Make an injured spouse claim. If your tax refund was taken because you filed jointly with your spouse, whose student loan is in default, you may be able to get your refund back after submitting an injured spouse claim.

Ask for a different student loan repayment plan. The main thing that you will want to do is get your student loans out of default. If you cannot afford your monthly payments, there are several payment plan options that may be successful at lowering them based on your income and other factors.

Adjust your withholdings. If you were getting large refund, it means that you were paying too much in taxes during the year and so you may want to adjust how much you are having withheld. Although this can't get your refund back, it can prevent you from losing more next year.

Consider filing for bankruptcy. Although bankruptcy often isn't able to get your student loans forgiven, it can help reduce other debts that you face such as credit card debt and medical debt. You can learn more about whether bankruptcy might be a good option for you by speaking with an attorney in your area.

Keeping reading for more information about student loan debt on our website.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Milwaukee Law Firm

Reach Miller & Miller Law, LLC, online or call us at 414-326-9231 to schedule a free initial consultation. Our law office also provides Spanish language services. Se habla español.

To schedule an initial consultation, call 414-326-9231 or contact Miller & Miller today.

Free Case Evaluation

* indicates required field

Milwaukee Office
633 W Wisconsin Ave, Suite 500
Milwaukee, WI 53203

Phone: 414-312-6581
Fax: 414-277-1303
Milwaukee Law Office Map

Kenosha Office
6123 Green Bay Road
Suite 210
Kenosha, WI 53142

Phone: 262-326-1669
Kenosha Law Office Map

Brookfield Office
200 S. Executive Drive
Suite 101
Brookfield, WI 53005

Phone: 262-261-0665
Brookfield Law Office Map

Madison Office
2810 Crossroads Drive
Suite 4001
Madison, WI 53718

Phone: 608-260-7133
Madison Law Office Map

Glendale Office
6001 N. Green Bay Avenue
Glendale, WI 53209

Phone: 414-973-8662
Glendale Law Office Map