Phone Call Us 414-326-9231
Toll Free 866-678-9352
Text Us 414-277-7742

Can a school refuse to give you a transcript after bankruptcy?

Can a university or college refuse to give you a copy of your transcript—essentially rendering your education valueless—if you filed bankruptcy on your educational debt?

Most people have heard that discharging education debt in a bankruptcy is next to impossible, but that's not really true.

If the debt is in the form of loans, you generally have to meet certain strict requirements to have them discharged, showing that payment of the debt "will impose an undue hardship" on you and your family. If, however, the debt is merely an unpaid bill from the university or college, you can list it as an unsecured debt along with the other debts that you have acquired, and they'll be treated as such—which is what one Wisconsin woman did.

Enrolled in a two-year master's degree program at a university, she stopped paying for her classes midway through the first year. Perhaps due to poor accounting processes, the university continued to allow her to enroll in new classes, take exams and eventually receive her master's degree.

However, when the former student asked for her transcript in order to provide her employer with proof of the degree and get the raise associated with it, the university presented her with a bill instead.

Ultimately, the former student filed for bankruptcy and listed the debt, which was directly to the university itself, among her other debts. The debt was discharged, apparently without the university bothering to protest—but officials still refused to release the student's transcript unless she paid what she owed in full.

Ultimately, the case found its way to the court of appeals. It determined that there was an implied contract and understood custom between schools and students: students did the work and the university would supply a transcript for a nominal cost.

Had the debt not been discharged, the university would have been within its rights to demand payment before releasing the transcript. Because the debt was discharged, however, the university was violating federal bankruptcy laws by acting in a coercive manner designed to force someone to pay a debt that had been lawfully discharged, and the student had a right to her transcript.

If you're worried how your bankruptcy will effect your ability to get a transcript from your former school, discuss the specifics with a bankruptcy attorney today.

Source:, "In the Matter of Stefanie Kim KUEHN," accessed Feb. 06, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Milwaukee Law Firm

Reach Miller & Miller Law, LLC, online or call us at 414-326-9231 to schedule a free initial consultation. Our law office also provides Spanish language services. Se habla español.

To schedule an initial consultation, call 414-326-9231 or contact Miller & Miller today.

Free Case Evaluation

* indicates required field

Milwaukee Office
633 W Wisconsin Ave, Suite 500
Milwaukee, WI 53203

Phone: 414-312-6581
Fax: 414-277-1303
Milwaukee Law Office Map

Kenosha Office
6123 Green Bay Road
Suite 210
Kenosha, WI 53142

Phone: 262-326-1669
Kenosha Law Office Map

Brookfield Office
200 S. Executive Drive
Suite 101
Brookfield, WI 53005

Phone: 262-261-0665
Brookfield Law Office Map

Madison Office
2810 Crossroads Drive
Suite 4001
Madison, WI 53718

Phone: 608-260-7133
Madison Law Office Map

Glendale Office
6001 N. Green Bay Avenue
Glendale, WI 53209

Phone: 414-973-8662
Glendale Law Office Map